Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Fine Tooth Comb

That phrase has taken on new meaning.  One afternoon, a couple of weeks after moving in to the rental, Amy was bored.  We all were, which was likely why Misha agreed to the beauty treatment.  Amy decided that her sisters needed deep conditioning treatments for their hair.  She had researched on Pinterest and found the perfect concoction for Kristen's hair needs and an entirely different remedy for Misha's needs.

I should have stopped her then, but like I said, we were bored.  Kristen was the first guinea pig, I mean, beauty customer.  Amy applied the treatment of coconut oil and other ingredients to Kristen's "dry" hair and stated that it needed to stay on Kristen's hair for 35 minutes, and then she could shower.  Fine.

They it was Misha's turn who reluctantly allowed Amy to apply this coconut oil and smashed up, banana paste to her hair.  Kristen got in the shower at her allotted time and took a little time to rinse out the oil.  Hard to know if the treatment really worked since her hair was rather oily for a few days afterward.  But hey, it wasn't dry.

Next Misha got in the shower.  She was in there a long time.  "Mom, the banana isn't coming out."  Indeed it wasn't as I peeked in to check on her.  I encouraged, "Try washing it again."  Another ten minutes and Misha finally emerged from the bathroom.  She had her hair wrapped up in a towel as per her usual routine.  Finally, as per "our" usual routine, I recommended that Misha should get her hair combed out.  That's when I got a good look at her hair.  Banana. chunks. everywhere.  I tried to use one of my large-tooth combs.  It got out some of the big chunks.  Frustrated, I had Misha lean over my sink as I tried to wash her hair again.  Still, the chunks weren't coming out.

I applied leave-in conditioner and that helped a little.  I finally had to have Misha go find her black, fine-tooth comb, and for the next thirty minutes or so, I combed her hair out strand by strand.  Uggh.  I completely understand what it means when you say "with a fine tooth comb."

New house rules:  Bananas are not allowed in hair around here, and Amy only gets to put hair potions on her own hair.