Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Red Sensation Hydrangea


When I first saw these bright pink hydrangeas while visiting Anderson Island, I was instantly enthralled and decided that I would find some to grow.  Likely they wouldn't grow nearly so well in dry and sunny Colorado as they did in rainy and often overcast Washington state, but I was determined. 

I first spotted them at Lowes last summer, but was somewhat deterred by the price.  When I decided later in the week that I wanted them and returned to Lowes, all of the Red Sensation Hydrangeas were gone.  Rats.  So I waited an entire year, not remembering exactly when I saw hydrangeas at Lowes, but checking every chance I got.

Success!  I found a beautifully potted plant and happily took it home (being extra careful not to spill or make a mess of Chris' new car).  The day after I put the pot on the front porch, the weather was extremely hot and the flowers wilted.  Shoot.  I gave it a good drink of water and happily the flowers had perked up again the next day.  Now I am going to learn how to propagate a new plant from its leaves.

I like looking out the side light windows by my front door to see the beautiful blossoms.  It was a good choice.