When I was learning to sew as a young girl, my mom was pretty insistent on doing it right. If a seam wasn't quite right, she encouraged me to take the time to pick out the seam and redo it. Unpicking was my least favorite thing about sewing. Perhaps that is why she is the awesome seamstress today. I can sew, but I don't have a passion for it.
So, when I began to teach my girls some sewing and they took some classes from friends, unpicking seams quickly became their least favorite thing to do. I always tried to encourage them to take pride in their work and to do it right; I'm pretty sure I have had that conversation with all three of my girls.
I was fixing some curtains for my bedroom and had to hem them. I was just eyeballing things and when I went to hang the curtains, they were just a little too long. The words, "Do it right," ran through my head, and though I didn't want to, I unpicked seams from the two curtains I had just hemmed.
I took a picture and sent it Kristen so that she could see that even I had to unpick seams at times to make it look the best it could.
