Recently I was listening to a Dave Ramsay radio talk show where he shared thoughts on getting out of debt with a few goals in mind. One that I was particularly impressed with was the notion of working to be debt-free and then of growing your income so that you could be 'outrageously generous'. The idea has stuck in my thoughts. I am sure outrageously generous means different things to different people, especially those in different circumstances. But the feeling that builds within your heart when you have that moment and opportunity to be generous grows and floods your heart as though your body is filled with light and bursting with joy.
Along with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' campaign to "Light the World", Chris reached out to our "family" in the Philippines to check on them and their needs, but also to ask a favor: Would you be interested in identifying some families who need extra help for Christmas? Then we could send you some money that you could use as you think appropriate to buy them things they need and share some Christmas with them!
The response from Armida: Yes Chris there are families here in our ward that need help esp. this coming season. I am thinking of giving them 1/2 cavan of rice. It is a big help for them especially today that the price of rice is getting higher and higher. If it's ok with you.
Chris reached out to his family, friends, and coworkers asking if they would be interested in donating; so many were amazingly generous. Chris continued communicating with Armida over the past couple of weeks. She had originally identified 10 families who were in need of rice for Christmas, and with the generosity of others, she was able to buy rice for 13 families along with a little extra for each family for Christmas. Armida and her family were just so grateful to be a part of the giving.
As our friends kept on giving, we sent more money to Armida. She mentioned a program already in place where they provide meals at an orphanage (which happens to be the same orphanage where our family spent a day serving so many years ago). Armida bought 200 packages of crayons and coloring books to share with the children in the orphanage.
The night before going to the orphanage, Chris texted with Armida where she shared her feelings and impressions: I'd love to share to you the smile from the kids
Chris: Yes, it’s the best smile anywhere. We will always remember those kids. They just want to be loved.
Armida: This is my first time to be in this kind of giving.
Chris: Fantastic! It's powerful.
Armida: I really love to do this
Chris: You are serving like the Savior would. I hope your family has a wonderful experience.
The magic of modern technology is wonderful as Armida texted while she and her family and the youth from the ward visited the orphanage. She sent pics and short video clips.
Chris: Bravo! I hope you all had a great experience.
Armida: I don't know Chris what is my feeling. I feel sad and happy at the same time.
Chris: I understand. Those kids just want to be loved. It's really sad to see them so lonely.
Armida: I cried when I saw those kids. Thank you for sharing ur blessings to them.
Chris: Thanks to my friends and family for helping. Such blessings. I hope the kids got some joy for Christmas.
Armida: I think so. I saw smile on their face specially when they received the crayons and coloring book. I cried when i heard them singing. You are right they really want to be loved.
Armida's heart was touched so much that she wants to continue giving. She plans to prepare a meal for the native Aeta people living in her area on Christmas Eve.
It is an overwhelming blessing to continue to be a part of lives around the world.





