Chris and I decided at the last minute to go hiking. We could get into the park without a reservation IF we were at the ranger station before 9 am. That gave us 25 minutes to get and out the door...and I had just put biscuits in the oven.
We hurried to pull everything together, get snacks and lunch, and pack water.
We arrived at the station three minutes before 9 am. We didn't have too many slowpokes driving in the mountains either.
We chose to hike to Ypsilon Lake. 2,100 feet of elevation gain in 4.5 miles. Ugh. We had hiked part of this trail with our girls when they were much younger and turned around because it was too steep for them.
2,100 feet of elevation gain is no joke. I read a review on the hike which said, "It is all uphill for the first 4.5 miles. After that, it is all down hill from there!" Right.
We finally made it to the lake and were happy to sit and rest for a bit. We pulled out our lunch and noticed trout lazily swimming in the water right by the shore where we were sitting.
The aspen trees were just beginning to change.
I sure do love hiking with this guy. Our mismatched heights don't seem to slow us down. I usually take the lead on the way up the hill and his long legs lead the way for us on the way down the mountain.


