As long as Chris and I have lived in Colorado, it is amazing that we are still finding cool things to see and do.
The Paint Mines are 45 minutes to the east of Monument. Definitely out on the prairie.
"The Paint Mines Interpretive Park is one of El Paso County’s most unique open spaces. The Paint Mines are named for their colorful clays that were collected by American Indians to make paint. Brightly colored bands, caused by oxidized iron compounds, are found in varying amounts throughout the many different layers of clay.
"The Paint Mines Interpretive Park is located in the northeast section of the County near Calhan with approximately 750 acres. The paint mines have evidence of human life as far back as 9,000 years ago. The park features fantastic geological formations including spires and hoodoos that form through erosive action that creates incised gullies and exposed layers of selenite clay and jasper. The park includes a restroom facility, four miles of trails, interpretive signage, and many natural wonders."
We took Kristen and Misha on an adventure to the Paint Mines and were all impressed. We walked along the nature path for a mile or so, took a short cut missing the second loop (also a mile), and loved all of the hoodoos and brilliantly Colorado rocks that we found.
I had read that it was best to visit in the morning or at sunset when the colors were more brilliant. I think morning would be awesome withe the sunrise, but I doubt we'll be getting up around 4 am to get there for sunrise in the summer.
Not only did we get great color, but it was also cooler in the evening from the almost 90° day. I don't know how packed it gets in the day time, but there were no more than five groups that we encountered.








