Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

Sunday is a perfect day for me to celebrate a birthday.  It is the one day of the week that I don't get up to exercise, and I stay in bed being lazy for a bit.  Thus, my children were able to make me breakfast in bed.  I believe Misha was the first one up yesterday morning.  She then woke up her sisters to help her.  It was a bad move to wake Kristen up--she was C.R.A.B.B.Y all day long, and she knew it!  She even lamented being crabby on my birthday.


Chris had early meetings on Sunday so he missed the action with breakfast.  All three girls came in to my bedroom around 7:30 am singing "Happy Birthday" with Amy carrying my breakfast tray.  They had made me oatmeal (with flax) and brought milk, orange juice, a banana, and my vitamins.  Kristen had made me a birthday crown on Saturday, and I got to wear that.  Since I am usually the camera taker, I got a big dose of my own medicine with Kristen trying to snap pictures of me with my iPad, Misha on my Canon G12, and Amy on my new Canon T3i.  I wished I had a camera to take a picture of them.  "Wait, Mom, look here."  "No, look here."  "Smile."  All coming from different directions, and in the midst of it all, I say to Kristen, "You're not putting that on Facebook are you?"  Whew, that could have been scary.


It's a good thing that Amy focused on Kristen's head instead of my face!

The girls left to get started on their breakfast of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls.  Kristen was still in a pretty cranky mood and came back up to my room devastated that she hadn't finished or started or bought a birthday present for me.  At that time, Chris came home and bounded up the stairs.  With early Sunday meetings, he misses out on Sunday birthday breakfast celebrations.  I was talking with Kristen when Chris came in and said, "I bet Dad could hook you up."  Without even having to explain what she was upset about, Chris grabbed her by the hand and led her back downstairs where the girls helped to wrap my birthday presents--in the comics.  Two more lenses for my camera and a filter!  Woohoo.  I am pretty spoiled and loved and celebrated.

When I came downstairs, Amy was busy trying to find candles for the obligatory "candles in your breakfast" birthday shot.  She asked, while rummaging through the candle numbers, "How old are you?"  I responded and she searched a little more,  "Hmm, will 28 be good?"  Yes, it would, but somehow 18 was even better.  Thus,



The morning passed by pretty smoothly.  I'm not a fan of 1:00 pm church, but we found ways to keep busy.  The girls played Twister for a bit, Kristen tried to create a zip line for her dolls from the catwalk to the kitchen table, and I practiced with my new lens.



By dinner time, Kristen was finally beginning to come out of her funk and be happy.  We had turkey tetrazini that I had put together after Christmas dinner in December.  Amy tried her hand at a pumpkin angel food cake.  It did not rise as much as a normal angel food and was quite dense, but a good try nonetheless.  With a little whipped topping and caramel topping drizzled on top, it was quite tasty.



Lucky for me, my birthday celebrations began on Friday.  Chris brought me some beautiful red tulips, and we followed that with dinner with friends.


On Saturday evening, the girls wanted to celebrate with going out to dinner and we ended up at Saltgrass--without Misha--who opted to spend time at her friend's house.

Another year and all even numbers to boot.  Somehow that makes a difference to me.