Monday, March 12, 2012

Teaching

I have been blessed to teach the 12-year olds at church (and this year that includes Amy).  I have been very impressed with these young people and have determined in my mind that in all my teaching, I will testify and do my best to bring the spirit in to my lessons.

A couple of weeks ago, my lesson was on Prayer.  It was Fast Sunday (Fast Sunday means that as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we skip two consecutive meals once a month in order to draw closer to our Savior, receive answers and inspiration, and to be uplifted).  And as I laid in bed early Sunday morning thinking of my class, an idea for my lesson came in to my mind and heart to teach the concept of prayer with greater impact.

Before leaving for church, I cut two slices of freshly-made, whole wheat bread, grabbed a plastic knife, scooped some peanut butter into one container and jelly into another, and put everything in a bag.  I typed up this question as a handout:


Knowing that the kids were fasting added to the impact of my lesson.  As I began my lesson, I moved a small table to the middle of the room, pulled out a lovely red napkin and spread it out on the table and then placed a white plate on top.  It definitely caught their attention.  As I proceeded through the lesson, I brought out the rest of my props.

The bread smelled wonderful and just the thought of it sitting on the table amongst hungry twelve-year olds held their attention.  I spread the peanut butter on one slice of the bread and then jelly on the other slice of the bread and then smooshed them together.  Then, I handed out the piece of paper (that Amy now has hanging from the mirror in her bedroom).  "Do you hunger for PB&J?  Prayer Between U and Jesus"  (The U came in from the "u" in Butter.  It worked).

I then outlined the parts of prayer with the top layer of bread being our preparation for prayer (red napkin and plate) and how we reverently address our Father in Heaven.

The jam represented our gratitude and the thanks we give for blessings, miracles, family, etc.

The peanut butter was the requests and pleas we make--asking in faith for those things for which we stand in need.

The final slice of bread represented our closing..."In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Do YOU hunger for PB&J?