Sunday, April 22, 2012

Watch DOGS

Chris likes to participate in the Watch DOGS program at school--Dads of Great Students--where dads spend a day at the school with their child(ren) helping in the classroom, playing at recess, and having lunch together.  Misha and Kristen were pretty thrilled that Chris was finally able to fit a day in.  He chose April 20th, which just so happened to be the day after Kristen's birthday and the perfect day to help celebrate her birthday.  I arrived at the school at 12:30 to drop off the pink-frosted, sugar cookies that the kids (and teachers) loved so much.  Chris was just coming in from recess where the kids loved playing with him and seemed to find so much humor in calling him Mrs. Kline.  He made a point of pointing out to them that I was Mrs. Kline and he was Mr. Kline.  They didn't care.  I'm afraid Mrs. Fike had just as much work settling the kids down from his riling them up--like making them stand against the wall just after he encouraged them to do pushups.

We waited next to the bathrooms for almost ten minutes before going back to the 1st grade classroom.  I'm pretty sure these kids didn't need any more sugar (especially since they were planning on root beer floats later in the afternoon), but they were happy to oblige Kristen by eating her birthday treats and by singing to her.  Chris made the faux pas of taking a bite of his cookie before the birthday girl. "Daaad!"



Celebrating Kristen's birthday at school wasn't a big surprise--more an expectation from my little planner.  Celebrating Misha's birthday was a delightful surprise; and I love a good surprise.  Since her birthday falls in the summer, she hasn't celebrated at school until last year when I also surprised her.  Chris said they made a point of celebrating all of the kids with summer birthdays and singing to them.  I wasn't there for the actual celebrating, but dropped off doughnuts after Kristen's cookie affair.  Chris headed off to lunch with Misha and her class. 

As I dropped off the doughnuts, one of Misha's classmates was using the microwave.  I told her it was a surprise and if she spilled the beans I was going to give her a "0" the next time I graded her spelling test.  (Funny thing, she made a point of saying "hi" to me at the grocery store a couple of days later.) Misha just thought I was there after dropping stuff off for Kristen and to take pictures.  (The first one is a little fuzzy but cute nonetheless.)


And Chris is either looking down at the floor or closing his eyes.  You decide.


Chris was pretty worn out after his day at the school.  He came home and wanted to take a shower.  He posted on Facebook, "Finished a fun day volunteering at the girls' school. But I have to be honest: I feel dirty. There isn't enough hand sanitizer to fix the things those kids do."  True, true.  Such a good dad.