Monday, August 31, 2015

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mom is 74 today, and she makes 74 look great.  My mom and I both wear fitbits and follow each other on our fitbit dashboard.  It is not a competition between us because we are both active, though I will admit that my steps are usually higher.  Twice now, she has called me to check on me because her steps were higher than mine.  "Are you okay, Jo?"  I love that she still thinks of me.  You know when you become a mother that you never ever stop worrying about, praying for, hoping for, or being concerned about your children.  I am grateful to know and to always have known that my mom loves me.

On our recent visit to Canada, we took my parents with us North to Radium Hot Springs, Lake Louise, and Banff.  It was wonderful to spend time with them.  As we drove, my mom sat in the very back of the van with Kristen and worked to teach her knitting.  When we asked all of our girls what their favorite part of vacation was, Kristen quickly answered, "Sitting in the van with Grandma and learning to knit."

(Just a note about the back seat of that rental van.  I sat in that middle back seat for a day and let my girls have turns sitting up front.  That seat was mighty uncomfortable!  I had to use a pillow for my back after awhile.)

My mom has always been a talented, craft-making lady.  She and my dad were equally matched in that they both work with their hands.  In different ways of course, but their hands are rarely idle.  They taught me well.  She taught me well.