Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Cortisone Shots in my Foot!

A couple of weeks ago, my physical therapist suggested that I schedule cortisone shots for my feet before we left for our vacation.  “Just in case they aren’t better,” she said.  They weren’t.  I tried not to think too much about shots in my feet.  It just wasn’t a pleasant thought.  The feet issues were caused from my accident back in February, and my left foot just has not improved much over the past couple of months.  The cortisone shot, somewhat of a last ditch effort, but mostly an attempt to help me manage over two weeks of walking in Europe.

I arrived at the podiatrist’s office on Tuesday afternoon after my physical therapy appointment.  Incidentally, my podiatrist is a friend that I grew up with in Stirling, Alberta.  I am pretty sure Ritchie could tell that I was nervous and even gave me an out, however, I was there and needed to go through with the shot.  He recommended that we only inject the cortisone in my left foot. 


Before starting, he reclined my seat.  I did not want to watch.  And then he proceeded to give me three shots from the same starting point but above, below and through the fascia of the muscle.  IT DID NOT FEEL GOOD!  The cold spray he used to “numb” the shots was mildly effective and each shot took three to five minutes.  Ritchie said injecting the cortisone slowly made it hurt less.

Following the shots, he taped both feet to ease the stress on the muscle.  So glad to have that done.  The taping lasted a couple of days.  My foot wasn’t instantly better.  It was tender still but improved.  The taping helped until I had a shower two days later.