We left the hotel at 8 am and only had to drive about five minutes to the storefront next to Albertsons.
With the helmet and personal flotation device and mask, it was shaping up to be a day for looking stylish!
We put into the water after being transported about fifteen minutes.
Our group had four rafts (each raft carried five people) and four kayakers along with our guide Marcos. With the water as low as it was, kayaking was the preferred mode of running the river. It was a rather docile trip for all of the rafters. I might have wished I was in the rafts just a teensy little bit.
Chris booked a half-day trip on the river.
The city of Durango had created a “water feature” with a class three section and then smaller rapids. We hit those about two and a half hours into our excursion. Chris and our guide ran the class three sections a bunch of times.
Pulling out of the river shortly after the rapids gave everyone a chance to rest, have a snack, and swim the rapids (for any of those brave enough to try).
The guides were great about having fun with the guests. Emma, the only female raft guide, even got in the water with a young girl and went down the rapids with her. I was impressed.
We set off again for about 45 more minutes. Thus far I had managed to stay upright in my kayak, but with twenty minutes to go, I got stuck on a rock and it just dumped me over despite my best attempts to lean in.
Our guide helped me climb back onto my kayak, and...I was pretty much done.
Chris had a short work meeting in the afternoon; it was a good chance for me to rest for a bit before our next adventure.