Friday, August 7, 2020

State-cation Day 8: 4x4 and the Alpine Loop

If I had really known what I was in for in driving the Alpine Loop in a jeep, I am not sure I would have gone. Chris rented the jeep for the full day and we made an early 7:00 am start. I was thinking we would be driving some bumpy roads, but nothing in my mind suggested that our ride would be switchbacks up the side of mountains. 

Let's just say I unnerved me. A lot.

We stopped first at Animas Fork, a preserved ghost town at the beginning of the Alpine Loop. 



Look at the craftsmanship of the door hinges.



They were proud of their "indoor" bathroom facilities. I'm thinking it must have smelled pretty awful in the house all of the time.

I watched as some jeeps and side by sides started taking off on these small roads up the side of the mountain. I had no idea this was the plan for the day. It was pretty much a grim, white-knuckled day for me the entire time.

However, there were a number of old mining ghost towns, a broken dam, and numerous waterfalls along the way.




Chris mentioned that there would be fields of wildflowers at the top of the mountain. Looks as though we had just missed the most brilliant blooms by a couple of weeks.

Chris got a number of great photos as well.


I was happy to return the jeep at the end of the day and finally relax.