Saturday, March 26, 2022

And So the Yard Work Begins...

As much as I don't enjoy the cold of winter, it is a wonderful respite from yard work that seems to keep us busy and sore for much of the summer.

Yesterday was the beginning of the marathon Saturday work days.

Chris began by mowing the lawn to remove a lot of the dead grass. He then fertilized it.

I started by trimming bushes and trees in the front yard. I did happen to notice that my tulips are started to poke through the mulch. Yay for that.

Since I really needed to get started on reviving my garden beds, I began that project next with the goal of getting at least one bed ready to plant peas. I'm a little late in planting them, but I think it will work out with travel plans later this summer for when the peas will be ready to pick.





I planted parsley last summer and left it in the garden over the winter. It is growing again which is nice to see.

I turned over dirt in all of the beds, clean out the extra leaves from around the strawberry plants, and finally got the pea seeds in the ground.

Chris and Kristen painted the fence around the garden.

Chris and I had thought to build new garden boxes, but when we looked at the outlandish prices of wood, we decided to make do with the boxes for another year or two. The wood would have cost over $500.

Chris finished up by added a pre-emergent weed control all around the yard. Fingers crossed it works!