Saturday, October 12, 2024

Hiking to Ouzel Lake...Again

Chris and I love the hikes in Wild Basin. Earlier this year we hiked from Allenspark to Cascade Falls and then Ouzel Falls. The falls were powerful and running high with the spring fun off. It was chilly, we had some snow on the trail to traverse, and we got rained on.

June 1, 2024

October 12, 2024

Today, we arrived at the ranger station and didn't even have to show our national park pass; no rangers present. We had left the house around 7:30 am and arrived there just before 9 am. Us and a lot of other people too!

I think there were at least a dozen of us driving the 3 miles to the parking lot along a dusty road. We were all hoping to snag a parking spot close to the trail head.

I wish that we could have stopped at a bridge with the sun's rays bathing over the road in the dustiness. It would have been an awesome shot, but the cars behind us probably wouldn't have cared that I wanted an amazing picture. You'll have to try and imagine it.

We did get a parking spot and quickly got ready to hit the trail. It had been in the 40s when we left the house but was almost 60° at the trailhead. Unfortunately, I dressed in long pants that were more suitable to the 40° temps.

We hiked for a bit and then both Chris and I peeled off our jackets. I rolled my pants up so I could cool off a bit. Probably not my best look, but when you have hot flashes, you don't always care about fashion! The trail was moderately busy and after we passed by Cascade Falls and continued on the 0.9 miles to Ouzel Falls, the traffic decreased substantially. 

We continued on from Ouzel Falls toward Ouzel Lake. The last time we made this 10 mile out and back hike, it was during Covid, and the sky was hazy from wildfire smoke. Today, the sky was not a bit hazy.




There was still a bit of fall color remaining, but it would have been tremendous a couple of weeks ago.

We had to go off trail a bit because we (I) decided we should continue another 1.5 miles to Bluebird Lake. I was breaking in new boots (again) and realized after about a half a mile (once we met up with the trail again) that it probably wasn't wise to continue on.

Chris was happy to turn back as well. This would make our total distance a respectable 11 miles and 1,700 feet of elevation gain. 

We found a spot on our way back down the mountain to stop for lunch. It was nice to rest for a bit, take some ibuprofen, and enjoy a mild and sunshiney day.