Late Winter 1854
February 5 – The winter of ’54 has been long and dreary. Snow piles blanket upon blanket on the ground until you’d think it would last forever. This confines all of us to the house except for my twice-a-day trips to the barn to care for the animals. Sarah is heavy with child, due most likely around my birthday in March, and little Maggie keeps us both lively and on our toes. Perhaps I feel the bias of fatherhood, but she really is a marvel. The other night, Sarah and I were sitting by the fire enjoying the peace of a quiet, shared moment and the crackling fire. We both thought Maggie was asleep, but suddenly she sits up in her tiny bed in the corner of the room, and in all seriousness, announced to us with her four-year old wisdom that someday she was going to be a princess! Where she gets these ideas, I don’t know, but little does she know that she already is one. Mine. What a girl!
February 10 – Another snowstorm quarantined us to the house. I am so glad I spent extra time last Fall filling in those chinks in the wall. The winds often rage outside and the snow flurries about the windows, but my small family is snug and safe.
February 5 – The winter of ’54 has been long and dreary. Snow piles blanket upon blanket on the ground until you’d think it would last forever. This confines all of us to the house except for my twice-a-day trips to the barn to care for the animals. Sarah is heavy with child, due most likely around my birthday in March, and little Maggie keeps us both lively and on our toes. Perhaps I feel the bias of fatherhood, but she really is a marvel. The other night, Sarah and I were sitting by the fire enjoying the peace of a quiet, shared moment and the crackling fire. We both thought Maggie was asleep, but suddenly she sits up in her tiny bed in the corner of the room, and in all seriousness, announced to us with her four-year old wisdom that someday she was going to be a princess! Where she gets these ideas, I don’t know, but little does she know that she already is one. Mine. What a girl!
February 10 – Another snowstorm quarantined us to the house. I am so glad I spent extra time last Fall filling in those chinks in the wall. The winds often rage outside and the snow flurries about the windows, but my small family is snug and safe.
February 12 – Maggie woke up this morning with a fever. She wasn’t quite herself throughout the day. We weren’t sure from one minute to the next if she would be crying or quietly playing. I did my best to comfort her at bedtime knowing how tired Sarah was, and finally Maggie fell asleep in my arms after hours of rocking. Neither Sarah nor I have any idea what is wrong with our little girl. The snow makes it impossible for me to leave the house and get the doctor, and I feel so helpless to know what to do. We are hoping that a good night’s rest will make a difference. Sarah and I knelt in prayer this evening before supper to ask the Lord to watch over and heal our little Maggie. I feel certain that things will be all right.