I had just finished vacuuming the basement stairs when all of a sudden I heard, "thump thump thump" followed by "that" cry. I found Kristen sprawled out on the landing of the basement stairs and began to pick her up. She immediately grabbed her right arm trying to protect it and cried, "Ow, ow, ow hurts." I carried her upstairs to the couch and the crying didn't stop. Another sign that it is more than just a little bump.
I tried to convince her to take some children's chewable Tylenol, but she refused and the tablets were just becoming a sweaty, mushy mess in her hand. Finally, I found some liquid Tylenol which she readily took. (Note to self: always keep some of the liquid kind on hand). You can see in the picture here that she is smiling, but that's after the Tylenol has kicked in. She let me wrap her arm and touch it, though it was painful.
Right now, she is sleeping, but I was listening to her through the monitor and could hear her say, "Ow, hurts, really hurts." We might be headed for x-rays or at the very least a doctor visit when she wakes up.
I tried to convince her to take some children's chewable Tylenol, but she refused and the tablets were just becoming a sweaty, mushy mess in her hand. Finally, I found some liquid Tylenol which she readily took. (Note to self: always keep some of the liquid kind on hand). You can see in the picture here that she is smiling, but that's after the Tylenol has kicked in. She let me wrap her arm and touch it, though it was painful.
Right now, she is sleeping, but I was listening to her through the monitor and could hear her say, "Ow, hurts, really hurts." We might be headed for x-rays or at the very least a doctor visit when she wakes up.
Update:
I took Kristen to the new Exempla Family Medicine office next to Safeway. They aren't so busy yet and got her right in--plus they have x-ray capability (the OTHER medical office in Firestone wanted me to go in to urgent care in Longmont). After making Amy wait a day before taking her in with her broken leg, I figured piece of mind and comfort is worth a lot. Kristen was more upset to see the doctor than she was caring about the pain in her arm, but they were able to take xrays and ... it's broken. It looks to me as though both bones are affected, but that's my untrained eye. She's in a splint until Monday when the swelling should go down and then they will put a cast on her.
P.S. I think the doctor thought my request to take a picture of the x-ray was a little odd. I told him grandparents love to see these kinds of things.
P.P.S. Dr. Mino praised my wrapping technique and the little splint I used to wrap Kristen's arm. In fact, he sent her home in the same splint!