Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Bread Recipe



So, I've had a few people ask me if I found a good bread recipe that met my criteria. I was given a number of recipes, some similar to the one I was already using, some quite different. I tried one of the recipes sent to me by my friend Deni, and I am so impressed. Let me preface its introduction by saying it does require a bit of a time commitment--almost four hours--BUT it is made of 100% whole wheat flour, it is sweet and moist, it is not nearly as crumbly as my other recipe, and Chris thinks it tastes great. If I had a Bosch mixer (hint hint Chris) I could make this recipe in its original form; using my KitchenAid requires me to halve it. This is the halved recipe:

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

1 7/8 cups water

1 egg

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup oil

3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour


Combine in mixer with dough hook and mix until uniform. Measure the honey in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup and pour most in without scraping bottom. Mix, then let stand for 1 hour in mixer.


To measuring cup with honey remaining in bottom, add:

1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp Saf brand yeast (I didn't use Saf, and it worked fine).

Mix very gently with fork then let rest. When it bubbles up to 2 cup mark, add to mixer along with:

1 3/4 cups flour (actual for me is 2 3/4 cups)
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp dough enhancer*
1 Tbsp wheat gluten*



The dough enhancer and wheat gluten were not included in the original recipe
. Knead for 7 minutes. Add additional flour until dough leaves sides of bowl and clings to dough hook (about a 1/2 cup for my dough). Knead 1 more minute. Remove dough from mixer, grease bowl, and return dough to bowl. Let rise 40 minutes or until double in size, punch down, and let rise again until double. I place my mixing bowl in the oven with the light turned on.


Divide dough into two loaves and place in greased bread pans (I used 5 x 9). Let rise 20 minutes or until top is 1" above pan. Bake 32 minutes at 350*. Remove from oven and butter tops.

I made a few changes and had to adjust flour for the elevation in Colorado, but the loaves turned out great--very tasty. I want to try adding other grains such as cracked wheat and oatmeal and maybe some nuts or raisins. I'll let you know how that goes.