Sunday, September 21, 2008

Looking Back: Funny Moments from Two Years Ago

September 2006: I made the girls play dough today. I could hear them throwing it against something so I go to the living room where they are standing suspiciously next to the carpet. "Stop throwing the play dough on the floor!" "We're not." Amy answers. I know they are throwing it somewhere and it takes only 2 seconds to figure it out. "Are you throwing it on the ceiling?" Amy nods sheepishly. "Stop!"

September 2006: One night I asked Misha to call Amy from the basement for dinner. She yelled, of course, while standing at the top of the stairs. As she walked in to the kitchen, she remarked, “Whew, I had to dig deep for that one.” I laughed and then asked, “Well, do you think you could dig a little deeper and call Daddy now?”

October 2006: On Thursday of last week, Misha came home with some scissors that her teacher, Mrs. Stephen, had given to her. I’m not sure what kind of sob story she gave her teacher so that she could have a pair of scissors at home, but nevertheless, she brought some home. I didn’t really think much of it until I walked over to talk to her as she sat watching tv and noticed pieces of hair on her sweatshirt. “What did you do?” I asked incredulously. She immediately burst into tears because she knew she had done something wrong. I took her to the bathroom and looked over the damage that she had done. She could have done a lot worse, but still her hair was going to have to be cut. And it was just starting to get longer. I went back to the pillow she had been laying on and lifted up the smaller pillow next to her. There sat a rather large pile of blond hair. I almost started crying. She was crying. “Ahhh Misha.” I took the handful of hair upstairs to show Chris and his mouth dropped when he realized what it was.

He came downstairs with me and held Misha who was still crying. There wasn’t much to do to salvage her hair without cutting the rest to be as short as the sides, but I didn’t want to try and even it up. So, while Kristen slept, Misha and I headed in to town for a haircut. It looks quite cute on her. When I got in the car after the haircut, I told her that her hair looked really cute, BUT “if you ever cut it again, I will have them shave you bald.” Two down, one more to go with Kristen.