Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Waterfall and "I just saw a bear!"

Before we arrived at The Airplane Restaurant, we had a little time to spare and drove up along the foothills of Colorado Springs. If you have a picture in your mind of what Colorado is supposed to look like, The Springs is probably closest to that picture. When you land at Denver International Airport for the first time, you'll likely think, "This is Colorado?" There is a lot of flat land and the mountains aren't too close. But I digress. We stopped at a little waterfall called Bruin Inn. Amy was too pooped to get out of the van so the rest of us hiked a short way.

Pretend that my eyes are not mostly closed in this picture, because I really like it otherwise.







We drove further along the foothills, some of it on this supposed two-lane dirt road (I didn't appreciate it much) and as we were driving along, I happened to look down a long driveway and saw this big black animal. In a matter of seconds, I rationalized in my mind, "That must have been a dog. But no, it walked like a bear." I finally blurted out, "I just saw a bear!" I urged Chris to turn around and sure enough there went a black bear lumbering across the road. It must have seen us coming, because it had disappeared into the brush by the time we reached it.