Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Cold Day

Since today was a Cold/Snow Day and my girls were home from school, I took them shopping in the afternoon to break up the monotony. There's not a lot of snow on the ground but the temperatures are frigid. The weatherman described it as an arctic blast from the tundras of Canada, or something cold-sounding like that. I felt badly when Amy told me that the buses were slow Monday morning and she had to wait in the cold for ten minutes. I'm glad they are staying home. I'd rather they be warm and safe at home.

Before shopping, there was cleaning. I had this epiphany on Sunday while I had to shower in my daughters' bathroom (Chris had recaulked our shower on Saturday and it needed 24 hours to cure).



Back to the shower. They are SUPPOSED to clean it every Saturday, taking turns. When I say to them, "You need to clean... (insert whatever you want)", they always tell me, "Well, Misha (or Amy) never cleaned it last week." So after having to use their facilities my epiphany was that we would ALL clean the bathroom together, top to bottom. They were a little more agreeable than if I was to simply say, "Go clean your bathroom better." I think they'll still do a slapstick job of it every week, but now it has a very clean starting point to go downhill from.

Back to shopping, Amy and Misha ditched Kristen and I as soon as we got in the store. It wasn't very busy which was fortunate. I wouldn't have been surprised though if I had heard over the store speaker, "Would the mother of the two girls putting on all the wrong colors of makeup please come and get them!" I didn't hear it, but I wouldn't have been surprised either. I snagged a couple of "search and find" books from the toy section for Kristen and had her follow me throughout the store while I shopped. I am not finding a lot of capris this time of year. Normally I wouldn't even be thinking capris this time of year, but since I am leaving on a cruise soon, I'm interested in their arrival in the stores.

And since tomorrow is another Cold Day (the temperature will be something crazy like -20* over night), we'll have to find more to occupy our time. I can see clean bedrooms in our future.