Anyway, we needed to be ready to board our tender to Virgin Gorda by 7:50 am. The island was about 30 minutes away followed by another 10 to 15 minute bus ride to Devil's Bay and The Baths. Our guide, Kim, chose to take us down to Devil's Bay first because it was usually a little less crowded.
Somehow I was just so much more confident in my snorkeling abilities today. I got in the water, forgot about the water pooling around my noise, and just learned to listen to myself breathe. However, I did learn very quickly that the direction to spit out your gum wasn't just a whim of our instructor. I forgot to spit mine out, and it quickly attached itself to the mouthpiece of my snorkel.
Is that a cool camera or what?
We stayed at Devil's Bay for awhile until Kim decided to guide us over to The Baths. I wish that we had just stayed at Devil's Bay the whole time. The snorkeling was so much better. Listen to me talking like I am a pro at snorkeling. Well, it was. The beach was nicer too, but we didn't know. I had fun watching two little blue fish chase each around and around a rock. By the time Chris had returned with the camera, they had stopped.
The little excursion to The Baths took about fifteen minutes when you had to wait for other people to come and go through narrow passageways. By the way, that's not me in the picture.
I ventured out quite far with Chris and Scot and Lisa. It was all going quite well and dandy until I was treading water for a minute and didn't realize that a huge boulder was right under me. I gave it a good sound kick and thought I had broken my toe! O-u-c-h! We got some cool pictures though, and thoroughly loved snorkeling. We are already thinking about where we can go to try it again. Somewhere warm.
Time to go! Departure time came far too quickly. We arrived back at the pier in Tortola and decided to check out the vendors just a short distance away. They all sold the same kind of stuff, but we still needed something for Kristen and me. I usually talk myself out of buying anything as a memento for myself, but found a cute tote bag with Tortola splashed all over it. I tried to get Chris to find something for himself, but he opted out. (He now wishes that he had gotten something.)
Lunch, lunch, lunch. We were quite hungry by the time we finally returned to the ship and made our way up to the Garden Cafe before they closed it to prepare for dinner. Chris opted to stay up on one of the decks after lunch, while I went back to the cabin for a nice, long hot shower and some rest. He got to watch the crazy antics of one of the evening show performers. If you were on the ship you might recall the too-full-of-himself performer with the rattail. Let's just say he was sunning all of his cheeks.
We met with our group for another dinner in the Summer Palace. We caught the early show of Second City, a comedy troupe, in the Stardust Theatre. Follow that up with a rousing game of Hearts (which Chris and I were both new to and sucked at) with Nathan and Polly and our evening should have been complete. Really, though, we were on a cruise ship where food was always available. We went in search of desserts. Instead we found ourselves at the White Hot Hot White Hot Party in the Spinnaker Lounge where we thought for sure we could find something to snack on. We could have if we had wanted jell-o. We got snared in to a picture with scantily clothed cast members and decided to find a quieter venue. We ended up calling it a night. I mean, really, if you can't have your dessert, you might as well just go to bed.