Every year Misha helps to celebrate a lot of the birthdays as they happen throughout the year for students in her class at school. Misha's birthday is in July so her birthday is always overlooked. You might argue that celebrating a birthday in the summer is way cooler than in a stuffy old classroom. She doesn't complain, mind you, because who wants to complain when you're getting cookies with delectable frosting at school?
With a couple days left in the school year, I sent an email to Misha's teacher asking if she would mind if I brought cookies to celebrate Misha's birthday before school let out. Mrs. Spong is cool; she was all for the idea. I kept it under wraps, because I always love a good surprise. So when I got the go ahead on a time, Kristen and I hurried on over to King Soopers to pick up cookies for Misha and her classmates--chocolate cookies with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. I brought a serving platter and napkins. Kristen and I made our way to the red wing at the school, caught Mrs. Spong's attention, and knocked on the door. The kids started turning around, "Misha, it's your Mom." We walked in to the room and before I could start singing "Happy Birthday", Mrs. Spong had Misha come sit up at the front of the class room with her to read the traditional birthday book, "On the Day You Were Born."
Then we sang "Happy Birthday". Misha passed out cookies; no one took a bite until Misha had served everyone and took the first bite herself.
Misha was thrilled. I don't often see her face so red; I think she was a little overcome with all of the attention. I say, "You deserve it sweet girl."