Tomorrow is my last day of driving to swim lessons. I've been driving in to Longmont for the past month, but my littlest swimmer has improved so much. Amy and her best friend, Audrey, have been taking a Junior Lifeguard course for four days this week that begins after Kristen and Misha's lessons finish. They must be too cool to sit in the shade by the pool next to me, so they sat in the car waiting for their class to start.
Yesterday, I was leisurely reading a book by the pool when I heard a car alarm blaring in the parking lot. I put it out of my mind for a second until I realized that 1) it wasn't turning off, 2) my daughter and her friend were sitting in our car, and 3) she had the car keys.
The way Amy and Audrey tell the story, they were sitting in the car talking, when this older guy started using his glasses to scratch the ground and was then walking around our car. Amy got nervous and wanted to quietly put the key in the ignition in order to roll up the windows. Well, she must have locked the doors first and all of a sudden the car alarm started honking incessantly. Scared the bejeebies out of them, until they started laughing. Scared the guy next to them. I don't think he was laughing.
After about fifteen seconds passed (that's a long time in car alarm time), it dawned on me that this was likely my car alarm going off. I checked the parking lot and sure enough, the lights on my car were flashing. I took off running toward the girls and as soon as Amy saw me, she opened the door and climbed out of the car. I pushed the alarm button on the key fob and finally there was silence. That was until Audrey climbed out of the back seat of the car and both girls bent over double laughing.