If you know when Amy's birthday is, you might be thinking, "Wait, I thought..." No worries, you didn't really miss it. Her birthday is still in December. My girls only get birthday parties every three to four years--at ages 5, 8, 12, and 16. We started at age five because I felt that before that, they didn't really get the concept and it was mostly for the parents. I do not favor big friend parties every year, thus the schedule. We tell them well in advance of their birthdays that we will only have a party on those years; seems to cut down on the "Can I? Can I?" requests.
So, the last time Amy had a party when she was eight, it was in the middle of a blizzard at the end of December. Not so fun for traveling guests. I suggested to her at the beginning of the summer, that I would be willing to let her have a party in the summer if she wished. She wished. The nice thing for me was that she pretty much planned the whole thing. Well, it was a natural result from her father mentioning 'whipped cream' and 'slip and slide' in the same sentence. She created her own invitations, planned a color theme, decorated our house, made and decorated her own cupcakes, and created a list of activities. I didn't really have to do much, though I did provide the financial backing, and I hung around throughout the event.
I think the boys might have felt the whipped topping was more fun to eat.
The theme for most of the gifts changed a lot in four years. Gift cards seemed to be the gift of choice, though her friend Audrey did give her a gift bag full of duct tape. Duct tape wallet anyone?
Happy early birthday sweetheart.