Sunday, September 11, 2011

Les Miserables

Chris and I had the fantastic opportunity of attending Les Miserables last weekend.  It started out as a lovely evening in downtown Denver, though I made the mistake of wearing mighty uncomfortable, blister-inducing shoes.  In fact, they were so uncomfortable that I heeded Christopher's urging after dinner to just take them off and walked part of the way into the theater barefoot.  I know, not kosher, and I've gotten ahead of myself.

We found an ideal parking spot and walked to our chosen restaurant.  We started with a lovely meal at a quaint little place called Osteria Marco in Larimer Square.  We both had the Mixed Green salad.  By its name, you would never think it to be so delicious, but it contained strawberries, pickled red onions, goat cheese, and candied walnuts.  Delish.  The dipping sauce for our grilled ciabatta bread was made of pesto, parmesan, balsamic vinegar and sun dried tomatoes and then we shared the Basil Pesto pizza.  It was a wonderful dinner.

We had plenty of time to walk from Larimer Square back to the Denver Performing Arts Center (DPAC).  It would have been lovely if hadn't already had blisters on my feet.  Thus the removal of my shoes.  Like I said, we had plenty of time, the theater doors were not even open yet when we arrived.  Once we were allowed to be seated, we easily found our seats and marveled at how fortunate we were to find great seats so close to the performance (I had called the ticket office to ask about seating for some seats and they informed me that they had other tickets returned and would I be interested in those.  Yes I was.)

We watched with interest the variety of people attending the show and the wide range of clothing styles and levels of dressing up that they had chosen.  "We could have come in shorts!" I told Chris.  Both Chris and I thoroughly loved the performance, however, just prior to its beginning I made a comment that pretty much soured the evening for both of us (for which I am terribly sorry).  We both became "Les Miserables".

When we exited the theater, I was not looking forward to walking what I thought was a long distance to our car.  Chris directed me to take a short cut through the DPAC parking garage, and blessed day, that was where we had parked.  I am so directionally challenged that I didn't even realize that we had parked so close.