Chris couldn't take it anymore. AAAGHGGG! "I just have to tell them." Just kidding, it didn't quite go down that way. We have been planning our Fall getaway for months now. And for months now, our children have not known where we were going. The top two contenders for them were New York City and Washington, DC. Nope. Boston, MA. The weekend before we were to leave, Chris and I decided to tell the girls the date we would be leaving so they could get any homework necessary. And really, the big reason to tell them was because Amy has makeup. Yep. I didn't want to be responsible for packing her stuff and forgetting something important. We were leaving October 11 after school, in fact, we were planning to sign Kristen out early. Friday the 12th was their Fall break and a day off from school.
So, the excitement began to build. Chris and I began to think, there's really no reason at this point not to tell them. On Sunday between the conferences, we saw glimpses of Harvard and Plimouth Plantation on a show being aired. We called down to the girls, "That's a clue!" By the time they had figured out what we were talking about, the Boston segment was over. Even the second time it aired, they missed it. Kristen must have seen stuff that Chris and I were looking at on Chris' iPad because she blurted out Boston and one point, but her sisters didn't pay her any heed. Finally, on Sunday evening, Chris told them we were going to Boston.
Boston? Hmmmm. Really? What's so great about Boston? Hmmmmm. That was pretty much their response. Then we began to talk about the history and maybe there was a glimmer of excitement. Maybe.