Chris and I spent Friday night at the house, painting the storage room floor. That is the exciting level to which our date nights have progressed/digressed. He had spent the previous nights sanding and then meticulously vacuuming out all dust and debris from the floor. We had originally planned to install vinyl in the storage space, but Dave suggested that it would just discolor from the glue if we didn't also install a subfloor. The cost just for that floor was adding up and we were hoping to keep those $$ down. It was a storage room after all. Since our landlord had just painted the exterior of his house and had paint left over, he kindly told Chris that he could use the paint if Chris left a little for future touch ups. We will probably put carpet pieces down in walk ways, so this seemed like an inexpensive, doable option.
Chris did most of the painting. When I spelled him off, I wasn't strong enough to get the coverage he wanted on the sheeting. I moved the light and paint bucket around instead.
Chris had most of us working at the house on Saturday to hang his cabinets in the garage, though we didn't get started on the cabinets until the afternoon. The girls and I spent the morning picking up garbage and nails around the house. I would say picking up the nails was mostly for our cars' benefit since I didn't want to ruin a tire. You might guess that there was grumbling from the under-fifteen crowd. Chris ordered pizza for lunch, and we kept them working most of the day. On one of Chris' trips back to the rental to pick up tools though, he dropped Kristen off. She wouldn't have been able to help too much with the cabinets anyway. She was happier staying home. Seriously, who likes to work! Not my kids! But Amy and Misha were so helpful in getting the cabinets hung. For one, they were taller than me, and two, my arms and head could only hold up so much cabinet. These were solid-wood cabinets and were H-E-A-V-Y!
It didn't take the workers long to get the island set. I am glad we spent the time making sure it was placed correctly.
On a side note, Luke, our landlord, changed his real estate agent. Since two of his contracts have fallen through, the first agent was the likely scapegoat. Nevermind what I think of this house and why it doesn't sell for the inflated listing price! Yeah, nevermind. However, in the change over to a new agent, Luke had the company that scheduled the showings send showing requests to him. Um, duh! You don't live here right now! So, unbeknownst to us, he had scheduled two showings for Saturday afternoon. Kristen was home all by herself when she suddenly heard people unlocking the door. They just walked in regardless of the fact that an eight-year old was home by herself. When Amy called to check on her, Kristen mentioned that people had been at the house. Right then, more people showed up for an appointment. Through the door, with Amy yelling at her, Kristen was trying to follow instructions to not let the second group of people in.
Since I wasn't receiving the showing requests, I thought the people were showing up unannounced or without going through the proper channels. Kristen gave the agent standing outside the door my phone number, and he called me. I told him I would be home in a couple of minutes, and he could enter the house then. He was completely okay with that. When I arrived in all my sloppiness, he was talking to Melissa, the new agent. I asked to talk with her. After chewing her out for not using my phone number to request showings, I asked her to give Luke a message for me because he forgot to let us know that he had scheduled two showings, "DUH!!!" I was ticked. So stupid.