I didn't get any pictures of Amy and Misha's send off, and for their sakes, I opted not to take any pictures of them on Friday when Chris and I picked them up at Camp Batel.
This was Amy's 5th year at camp. She was a YCL or Youth Camp Leader. As such, she had the privilege of leaving for camp on Monday morning. She had to work on Monday morning as well, so it was quite a rush getting her home from work and then off again. She was already packed and had her gear ready to go.
Misha left early Tuesday morning. She had to be at the church by 7 am for a 7:15 departure. Misha had dropped her gear off at Tirsa Allen's home down the street from us on Monday evening so that all of the gear was packed and ready to go Tuesday morning. Misha loaded up the 4-wheeler with her stuff and drove it on down. Honestly, I think that was the highlight of Girls' Camp for her.
Since we had our Stake ward split, my girls have felt a little like fish out of water. We were all hoping that this Girls' Camp experience would offer them the opportunity to connect with more of the ward's young women. To be honest, they really weren't that thrilled to be going. In fact, Amy said this was her last year.
I watched the weather throughout the week while they were gone. Sadly, they were camping in rather unfavorable weather. It rained on them most days and some days, their activities were cancelled because of the sogginess.
Chris and I were asked to drive up to Camp Batel on Friday morning to pick up girls. They asked us to be there by 9 am which meant we needed to leave home by 7 am. We dropped off Kristen at a friend's house since we needed all of the seat space for bringing girls home. Except for the early hour (she had to get up at 6:30 am and usually sleeps until 8:30 am), she was happy to spend the morning with friends.
Unfortunately for Chris and I, the girls were nowhere near ready to go. They were all eating breakfast when we arrived, and they still had cleaning to do followed by a closing flag ceremony and checkout. Chris and I helped load up the kitchen area. We could have been there at 11 am, and it would have been right on time to pick up kids and bring them home. Amy was pretty happy to see us. She was out at the road to greet us when we arrived. Misha was happy to hang with her friends and gave a quick hug before heading off.
I had brought my camera, but decided to not record the girls after a week camping with no showers.
We left shortly after 11 am with three extra girls and headed home. We stopped for gas, ice cream and french fries outside of Windsor and reached the church in Frederick around 12:45 to waiting parents. We had most of Amy and Misha's gear in our car and just had to grab their camp chairs and a sleeping pad. They were both in the shower within minutes of arriving home.