Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Thankful 2015 - Jumping Jacks

I have been doing some workouts over the past couple of months that test my physical strength, balance, and core.  I used to hate doing jumping jacks...until I disliked doing one-legged jump squats even more.  Jumping jacks became easier.  Someday I will master one-legged jump squats and won't dislike them quite so much, but what makes me grateful for them is that I can do them. 

When I was a young girl, I read two books, "Karen" and "With Love from Karen" written by her mother Marie Killilea.

These books were groundbreaking by asserting that children with cerebral palsy could lead productive lives.

Karen Killilea was born three months prematurely at a time when such babies rarely survived. As a result of her prematurity, she developed cerebral palsy. After she was diagnosed, Karen's parents decided to raise her at home, contrary to the advice of doctors to commit her to an asylum and forget her.

After visiting at least 23 doctors, they found one in Baltimore, Maryland, who taught them to do physical therapy with Karen at home (then a radical concept). They did so, spending six hours daily on her therapy for more than 10 years. Karen learned to walk with crutches, write, swim, and use her arms and legs.  (Wikipedia)

Karen's mother wrote of the painstaking work of teaching her daughter to perform simple functions such as putting on a t-shirt.  Marie would have to put on the shirt herself and then map out step by step the minute movements of how her daughter should move her arms, neck, and body to put on a t-shirt.  Most of us never think about the muscles we use to put on a t-shirt.  We just do it. Every morning I can get out of bed without thought of how to move my legs or sit up.  I just do it.  I am grateful for jumping jacks and one-legged jump squats and all the exercises I can do.