Thursday, October 27 Amsterdam. So beautiful and green with just a few trees here and there starting to change with the season. I was excited to leave the plane and head toward Immigration. I got online with airport wifi to let Chris know that I had arrived. His flight coming from Rome had been a little late as well and wouldn't you know I look up and he is standing on the other side of immigration texting me. Look up! He did and gave me the biggest smile. I was through Immigration in no time to hug my sweetheart.
Chris came down with a cold a couple of days earlier and had been suffering since then. So just a hug and a cheek kiss to avoid me getting sick as well. His luggage was arriving, though late, at carousel 12 and mine at carousel 16 down another long hall. Nice that we could text now. My luggage arrived before Chris', and I was out through customs in no time. Chris followed on the other side of the airport and we met up at Burger King.
From there, we headed toward the train for a short trip into Amsterdam. The ticket kiosks were up on the main level of the airport, so Chris ran back upstairs to buy tickets and then back down again as our train was about to depart. It was a double decker train. Our hotel was not too far from Amsterdam Centraal (Train Staion) at the Double Tree. Unfortunately our room wasn't ready for early check in and Chris had to head back toward the airport for a meeting at another hotel. I hung out for awhile in the Executive Lounge. I had a ticket for the Anne Frank house at 1:30 pm, but my phone was low on power and I wanted to be able to charge it before leaving. So I plugged in and sat down to wait, take some notes, and drink some diet Coke.
Once fully charged, I followed the Google Map directions to the Anne Frank house. I could have never made it without Google Maps. As it was, I sometimes made a wrong turn and then had to go back up a bit, see where the arrow was pointing on the map, and head down another street in the opposite direction. I am a directionally challenged individual.
I was grateful that Chris had booked my ticket ahead of time....only to find out as I tried to enter the museum that my ticket was actually for Friday at 1:30 pm. Crap. I didn't have anywhere else to be, and we had plans for Friday at 1:30 already. So, here I went to stand in the queue for TWO HOURS!!! to wait in the overflow line that they allowed to enter the building at 3:30 pm. The guy in the office said I could use tomorrow's ticket today if I waited in the queue. Two long hours. At least I had a wall to lean against and there was people to watch. I checked my phone every so often, but Chris was presenting and the girls were still sleeping at home.
Finally at 3:30, the people in the queue were allowed in. The line was forever and ever around the block. I was just so grateful that I had gotten in the line when I did, I was only about 15 people back from the start. Photography was not allowed in the building, so no pictures.
All day long, I had this sense of Amsterdam 70, 80, 90 years ago. What would it have been like then? The people, the transportation, the clothes...the Nazi invasion and the upside down horror that came upon their lives? As I walked through the factory with the hidden quarters above, I was somber. I loved the experience, but it still weighed heavy on my heart.
It was much cooler later in the afternoon when I exited the Anne Frank house and headed back to the hotel following Google maps. I may or may not have walked through the red light district following google directions....
Chris was delayed with his meetings, so I checked in to room 901 and took a much-appreciated shower. So tired. Must sleep. Chris got to the room in time to keep me awake. The view from our room.
We vegged for a bit and then headed downstairs to meet up with Chris' coworker and our friend, Jason Warfield. One of the nicest, most genuine guys you could ever meet. We hung out in the executive lounge chatting about our girls (his and ours) and snacking on appetizers.
I just couldn't stay awake after awhile, and we headed to bed. Unfortunately, Amy called my phone accidentally at midnight. Chris got up to answer it, but I was awake for a couple of hours. I hoped that it wouldn't keep me up all night long. Gratefully, at some point, I fell back to sleep.


