One of our traditions for Christmas Eve is dinner at Olive Garden. For many years, Olive Garden has not taken reservations or done call-ahead seating. We learned last year as we waited with Kevin and his family, that they had started doing it. We just didn't know it in advance sadly.
So, this year, thinking that I would be all on top of things, I called on the 23rd to make a reservation for 5:45 on the 24th. When we showed up on Christmas Eve, thinking we would get in without a hitch, I was informed that they had lost our reservation. What! So we waited around for quite some time even though the hostess said they would get us in as soon as possible (she didn't really mean it, she was just saying it to appease us). After 45 minutes, Chris asked how much longer and the hostess told him another 20 minutes maybe, "So, you didn't really move us up the list did you?" She didn't have a good reply and Chris asked to speak to a manager. The manager had us seated within 5 minutes. Good thing we like the food.
We returned home to continue our Christmas Eve traditions. We watched Gentri's video of "O Holy Night." We had a gift exchange, and then the girls were allowed to bring all the presents up to put them under and next to the tree. Amy has learned, "I'll organize them and you two bring them upstairs and stack them." Bringing up the presents is kind of the favorite part. Two years ago, I bucked the tradition and put some of the presents under the tree. The girls started counting how many were theirs, so I said I would go back to storing them downstairs. Apparently, they keep track down there just as much. After the presents are upstairs, they are off to their rooms so stockings can be filled and Santa can come. Kristen also left cookies for Santa and carrots for his reindeer.