Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Potential of Mrs. Potato Head

This is part of a message that I shared in a Relief Society lesson on Sunday.  It is something we all need to internalize.

Am I Good Enough?

…we must stop comparing ourselves to others. We torture ourselves needlessly by competing and comparing. We falsely judge our self-worth by the things we do or don’t have and by the opinions of others. If we must compare, let us compare how we were in the past to how we are today—and even to how we want to be in the future. The only opinion of us that matters is what our Heavenly Father thinks of us. Please sincerely ask Him what He thinks of you. He will love and correct but never discourage us; that is Satan’s trick. (Devn Cornish  Am I Good Enough?  Will I Make It? October 2016 General Conference)

There are people in this world blessed with some very visible talents:   Playing a musical instrument, singing, speaking in front of people, creating beautiful art, designing scrapbooks, building homes, cooking, working on computers, or swimming, to name a few. 

We often compare ourselves to others using these visible talents as a measuring stick for our worth.  Our self talk brings us to,  "I’m not as good as…" or "I can't do…"  Which often leads to "I’m not…enough."  Sometimes we think we do not have many talents or that other people have been blessed with more abilities than we will ever possess.

And sometimes when we attend church, we become so discouraged even by sincere invitations to improve ourselves. We think silently, “I can’t do all these things” or “I will never be as good as all these people.”  My dear friends, we all have talents.  Some are visible and wonderful and good and are used to bless the lives of others.  Some are not so visible but are equally wonderful and good and are used to bless the lives of others.


Take a moment to look at Mrs. Potato Head.  From first glance, she may not appear to be talented.  Sure she has this great compartment in her back for holding lots of stuff, but can she sing?  She is the perfect demonstration of why you and I are talented, worthwhile, and more than enough.

Hats - Mrs. Potato Head has many hats.  She wears them all interchangeably.  You might be one of those talented individuals who, having many responsibilities and wearing many hats, are able to multi-task without missing a beat.  You juggle life with grace and ease and calm.

Hands - Are your hands like the Savior's, stretched out to lift others up? Do your hands heal. Are your hands constantly serving?  Perhaps your hands love others endlessly or are hands that love and care for children, enfolding them in hugs. Do your hands fold in prayer?

Feet - You might have feet that go the extra mile, feet that are determined, feet that are persistent, or feet that do missionary work.

Ears - This world has need of ears that really hear and listen to others.  Is that you? Do you listen without judging others?

Heart - Is it your heart that responds to promptings and acts upon them? Do you have a heart that cares for others, that loves? Do you have a cheerful heart?  Do you show empathy or patience or compassion?  Are you a peacemaker?

Eyes - Eyes are often used to make first impressions.  Do you look beyond physical attributes and accept others?  Do you see a need and fill it?  Do your eyes reflect hope and happiness and does the light of Christ shine in your eyes?

Mind - Do you work to have clean and pure thoughts?  Does your mind seek to know and understand?  Are you able to learn, to remember?  Do you teach others? Are you looking for solutions?  Do you solve problems?  Are you a creative thinker?  Are you punctual?

Mouth - A smile makes all the difference.  Are you quick to say kind words, give compliments, and show enthusiasm?  Do you graciously accept a compliment?  Do you say "Thank you"? Does "I Love You" roll easily off your tongue?  Do you keep a confidence?

You, my friend, are enough.