Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Europe 2019 - Day 11

We had an early start to catch our 9:00 am train to Prague.  We told the girls they needed to be downstairs for breakfast (packed and ready to go) by 7:45 so we could catch the 8:15 bus to catch the subway to catch our train to Prague.  The girls were right on time.

While we traveled, I helped Misha plan her Fall schedule for BYU registration, and Chris helped Amy search for housing.  These girls need to find a place to live soon!


We arrived in Prague at the train station to hear a young girl playing Bohemian Rhapsody on the piano.  Seemed fitting as we had just arrived in the land of Bohemia. 


After trying to decipher words and directions, Chris bought some metro tickets for the next three days.

I loved the drain covers all over Prague or Praha as the locals say it.


We hopped on tram #22 to our Air BNB.  It was three flights up.  Three lengthy flights up (equal to six flights of stairs) on stairs with varying rises and differing runs.  You had to watch your step for sure.

We opened the door to a breath of fresh...hot air.  No air conditioning.  Ugggghhhh!


We started a load of laundry before starting to tour Prague for the afternoon.  A Rick Steve’s tour beginning in Wenceslas Square introduced us to downtown Prague. 



Yes, that same good King Wenceslas. 


We started our tour down the street, shooting off Wenceslas Square in to a private rose garden or checking out a theater with this interesting art piece with King Wenceslas riding a dead, upside down horse.  Apparently it was a tribute to past and modern leadership of Prague.  Alrighty then.


Misha found herself in Prague.


I particularly loved this little boy, who, when he saw me walk by with my camera, started saying,  “Cheese. Cheese.”  His mom didn’t seem to mind when I crouched to take his picture.  I didn’t get a lot of time to adjust my camera to capture the moment, so I hoped that my settings were good. The little guy was pretty pleased that I would stop and pay attention to him.


A water truck provided a nice cooling off moment for Amy and Kristen.


Misha and Amy found some cool art to buy and all of the girls thought Misha needed to see what Vapiano’s was all about. Vapiano's in Prague was a little different from the Vienna restaurant, but still good.  After dinner we happened to walk in to the Old Town Square just minutes before 7 pm.  We realized we were right close to the Astronomical Clock.


The square was packed so we heard more than we saw when the clock struck 7:00 pm, but people quickly moved away for us to get a few pictures when the chimes ended.

From there we fell in to the tourist trap and walked down Karlova Street and right across the Charles Bridge where the tourists were still thronging it en masse.



Chris and Kristen went to find groceries for breakfast while I hung out wet laundry on drying racks and then started another load.  This was the end of day eleven, and I think we were all feeling sufficiently worn out.