A couple weeks ago, I fasted for Misha (starting on a Saturday afternoon). Since that time, I have seen the hand of the Lord working in her life. This past Saturday as I was chatting with Amy about her current situation and the loneliness she feels, I offered to fast with her. It happened to be her fast Sunday, and so we both fasted together. I told her that we would fast for "just one friend or something better". Now, I'm not really one who loves to fast (I believe I have now fasted three times in the month of September alone!), but I know that fasting has the power to bring mighty blessings.
Chris and I attended the Saturday evening session of our Stake Conference. It was simply awesome. If you ever have the chance to go to a meeting where Rulon F. Stacey of the 70 is speaking, go. He was just amazing.
He talked about our desire for blessings in our lives. Each blessing is predicated on a commandment. So if we want blessings, we need to follow the commandments. Elder Stacey talked about the white missionary handbook that each missionary is required to carry (even carrying the book at all times is a rule/commandment) and as a demonstration, he asked all of the missionaries present to raise their white handbooks. As I turned to look behind me, I cold see a sea of white handbooks all the way back to the stage. It was impressive.
Before closing, Elder Stacey left the members of our stake with a powerful blessing. (I was grateful for a friend who thought to record it and then shared it.)
I promise you, that because you took the time tonight to be here and made the sacrifice to be here, that your Heavenly Father will touch your heart with remembrance of what that meant to feel His presence and know who He is. I bless you because of your sacrifice in being here tonight, that your Father in Heaven will address the prayers that are most personal and meaningful to you. I bless you that through you the person in your life, family member or close loved one, who you have been praying for will receive the blessings for which you have been praying. Because of your willingness to be here and because of your sacrifice. And I bless you that because of that process you will have your testimony strengthened and they will have their hearts softened and you will be drawn closer together. I bless you that the person you want to understand the most in your life through this effort and this blessing you will understand, you will have an ability to walk in their shoes. I bless you with the decision that you are facing in your life that your Father in Heaven will guide you and you will know the decision you need to make. I bless you that even in that temporal decisions, the Lord will guide you and prep you and give you the blessing you need. I bless you because of your willingness to be here tonight the veil will be thin. You will find a special relationship with those who have gone before in your life and you will understand the promises you made way before you came. And that will give you strength with your family and with others in a way you thought never before possible. I promise the questions that you have with your testimony will be answered in the coming days and that as you search the Book of Mormon, you will find answers you never before thought possible. I testify to you brothers and sisters that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is absolutely and completely personal. He knows everything about you, every single thing. He will never forget you and He never has. I testify of that in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
As I was fasting and praying for Amy that evening, tears came to my eyes as Elder Stacey said: I bless you that through you the person in your life, family member or close loved one, who you have been praying for will receive the blessings for which you have been praying.
I know God hears and answers prayers. I know that He loves each one of us. I know that He will bless Amy with friends.