I thought that maybe I had an aloe tree as it continued growing up and up and up. I had to work to keep the crazy thing upright.
When I did some research I found that the plant was really lacking direct sunshine and was growing up to find it. The pot was sitting in my bathroom and had some great indirect light, but no sunshine directly on it.
I tentatively cut the stem off the aloe and peeled back a few of the aloe stalks. Then, following online instructions, stuck the shortened stem in dirt. The internet tells me that the plant would start to send out shoots and grow. So here's hoping.
Chris now gets to be the keeper of the big aloe plant as he has a window in his office with great light.
I repotted a few small shoots into a couple other pots and will see how those grow as well.