Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Thankful Day 30 - Pathways

I am now in my third semester of teaching Institute in the Pathways Program. I am grateful that growth comes. I am especially thankful for students who don't even realize that they make a difference to my life.

In my first semester, I had a non-member sister from Haiti who commented:

"I have been in situations where only my faith in God was the exit to the situation. This faith gave me hope and strength to overcome stressful events. Every time my faith in God is fruitful it reinforced my belief that I should not be afraid even in stressful or deadly circumstances. I have an unwavering trust in the Lord and all his promises."

During the last week of our semester together, her best friend was murdered by a young man and she saw violence and evil all of the time in Haiti. I often remember, "only my faith in God was the exit to the situation."

This semester I have a young single father in my course who is so full of enthusiasm for life. When I asked him and the other students to post pictures that reminded them of having faith in Christ, this is what he shared:


"In 2019, while still an investigator, I participated in a lesson with the missionaries on the word of wisdom.
 
I was asked if I would be willing to obey the word of wisdom. I enthusiastically answered yes. The same day I went home, emptied the rest of my beer bottles in the sink, took a picture and shared with the missionaries. I was curious about seeing how obeying the word of wisdom would be beneficial. 

I trusted the missionaries because of their character and the spirit that animated them.  

Several weeks after being diligent with the word of wisdom, on October 27, 2019, I had a morning run, an afternoon party, and an evening invitation to attend general conference from the DC Temple visitor Center. It was a busy schedule for someone who was going to run a marathon with little preparation. 

The race was my second marathon ever and I still had memories of the first marathon. I remembered being unable to walk after the first marathon. Interestingly, October 27, 2019, I ran the 26.2 miles, was able to walk after the race, then I took the kids to the afternoon party, and attended the general conference broadcast at the DC Temple Visitor Center.

I couldn't comprehend how I was as to do all that. The missionaries and I thought this must be one of the impacts of obeying the word of wisdom. Having faith in what is shared by the proper authority, doing my part, and noticing an aggregation of results over time has increased my ability to have faith in Jesus Christ. 

As I have been having faith in Jesus Christ, I have been noticing a natural flow of repentance. Some of them of course required some conscious efforts. But most of my moments of repentance are happening naturally. It is wonderful how faith in Christ leads and repentance follows."

I am blessed to be a part of this.