Friday, July 19, 2024

Sharing My Gardening Knowledge

I am by no means an expert on gardening or designing a landscape, but I have learned a few things over the past 25 years.

A friend from our ward, Tara Luschin, texted me with a request for help:

"Hey Jolayne! I’ve heard several times how great you are at gardening. We just closed on our new house and need to plan the landscaping in the back. I was wondering if you’d be willing to look at our back yard with me and maybe give some tips on areas where certain plants would grow best? Or a good way to set up a garden?"

She sent me some pics of her back yard. I sent her some ideas to get ideas flowing and asked what kind of things she wanted to grow in her garden.

I have a companion plant chart that I have created for my garden, so I sent that over. Here's a page from it: 

"This is helpful when planting a garden to know which plants thrive next to others and which plants you should avoid planting next to each other. If this doesn’t include the vegetables that you want to plant, google 'companion plants'. 

"I planted in garden boxes and used the square foot gardening method, so the # of seeds/plants per square foot relates to that."

I used to follow a blogger based in Utah that shared planting charts by zone. I can't find her now, but I'll keep looking. Regardless, there are a lot of other blogs that offer similar information.

I sent her my list of favorite trees and shrubs. (I keep this in my file: If I ever build a house again.)

Trees

Autumn Blaze Maple

Sugar Maple Tree

October Glory

Ornamental Pear Trees

Flowering Crabapple

Purple Leaf Sand Cherry

 

Evergreen Trees

Colorado Blue Spruce

Emerald Green Arborvitae

Baby Blue Eyes Spruce

 

Bushes

Chinese Holly

Sherwood Compact Mugo Pine

Little Quick Fire Hardy Hydrangea

Annabelle Hydrangea

Butterfly Bush

Dwarf Burning Bush

Autumn Amber Sumac

 

Shrubs

Hostas (like shade)

Hens & Chicks

Red Twig Dogwood

Azalea

Diabolo Ninebark

Rhododendron

Weigelia

 

Perennial Flowers

Poppies

Peonies

Dahlias

Tulips

Ranunculus

Coneflower

Roses

Mr. Goodbud Stonecrop

Columbine

Lenten Rose

English Lavender

 

Annual Flowers

Begonias (like shade)

 

Grasses

Karl Forrester

Japanese Forest Grass

Dwarf Pampas Grass

Northern Lights Tufted Hair Grass

 

Ground Cover

Ice Plant

Veronica

Phlox

I also sent some links for garden boxes from Costco. (Just google them if you are needing garden boxes) with this advice:

"I would not go any bigger than 4 ft wide as it gets hard to reach into the middle. Even then I put some concrete pavers in the middle so I can step on those and reach better. "

Tara came to look at some of our trees and bushes. She brought her kids and they were instantly bored. One of her daughters said to me, "Why do people even need a yard this big?"

Why indeed.