Monday, August 12, 2024

Kristen's Mission Email - Week 8

HELLO PEOPLE!! 

Big news... I am now in a trio!!!! A sister I came in with went home unexpectedly this last week and her trainer got combined with me and Sister Pennington's companionship!

Her name is Sister Whitlock and I love her so much already. We are very spazzy and high energy (and Sister Pennington is very patient as a result). Because of this, we are now covering her ward and area in Glendora (right next to us) as well as ours. 


Unfortunately, that is a whole other zone and so now we have two of everything to attend. It's been a hectic week. We ended up moving out of our pad into Sister Whitlock's all within 24 hours. Luckily, this chaos will only last us the remainder of our transfer (about 2 weeks). 

By next P-Day, I'll have word on whether I'm staying here, switching companions, moving to another area, etc. Odds are Sister Pennington and I will go back to our old area, but you never know!! 

Here's the weekly recap! 
Exchanges with Hermana Molina🥰 
Prayer answerers🙌
Sweet treats from members😋 
Locked out of our apartment😁 
Trio shenaningans🤩

I got to do an exchange with my STL, Hermana Molina, this week. When we went out, I stood there while she spoke in Spanish and smiled. I picked up a few words, "Jesucristo, compañera, etc.", but it was cool to see the work we do in another language.

It was that morning I found out we'd be in a trio. We exchanged back at Raising Canes (or con-ez as Hermana Molina says it), and Sister Pennington and I spent a good portion of time packing up our entire pad for two weeks :( 

We couldn't fit another sister in our home in Covina, so it made more sense for us to be in Glendora. Our last night as a duo, we talked to SO MANY people (locked in as we would say), since we figured we wouldn't have a whole lot of time to in the foreseeable future. 

One person was a young mom named Stephanie. We met her outside, walking around her complex. We explained the Book of Mormon and the joy we receive from Jesus Christ and she was so excited to read it. She said she had been praying for something like this and we were the sign she'd been looking for from God. We can't wait to meet up with her again! Sister Pennington and I were so excited to meet someone so prepared for the message we share and some happy tears may have been shed.

The highlights of my week may have been getting free sweet treats from members (if you know me, that's on brand).  One of the stake presidency members owns some Crumbl franchises. During district lunch, one of the sisters suggested stopping by to see if he could maybe possibly be there and if he would maybe possibly give us a few cookies on the house. Fortunately he was and he got us some, plus extras. 

A few nights later, we got some ice cream at Handel's. Standing behind us in line was a member couple who insisted on paying for our treats. It sounds silly to be so excited about it but I'm so grateful for our members and all they do for their missionaries!

We went out for our first morning walk as a trio and as we're walking down the stairs, Sister Whitlock gasps. She forgot the keys. We made a call to our gracious housing coordinator, Elder Allred, who drove 40 minutes one way from Pasadena and opened our door. We are just silly forgetful missionaries after all, even if we are on the Lord's errand.

Teaching as a trio might seem a bit daunting, but we've handled it pretty well. We laughed when President asked on our big New Missionary Call how teaching 50/50 was going. How about 33/33/33?

Here's the funniest thing I said this week: My trainer(s) had me start talking to someone on the street and I tripped walking towards them. They were not interested and didn't believe in God. I said afterwards, "I'm glad I only tripped in front of an atheist." 

Spiritual thought! Prayer is an interaction with the Godhead. We might think it's just us talking to our Heavenly Father, but we pray IN the name of Jesus Christ and receive answers and inspiration THROUGH the Holy Ghost. Every time we kneel down to pray, we have a personal experience with each member of the Godhead. As such, prayer brings us closer to our Savior and Heavenly Father and helps us better recognize how the Holy Ghost speaks to each of us. Pray always!! That simple act will bring you closer to the most important people--the Godhead! I love you all so much, the weeks are flying. No visa update, probably here for another six weeks 🥲 God's will!!! 

Til' we meet, 
Sister Kline