Saturday, September 14, 2024

Hiking toward Lawn Lake in RMNP

Lawn Lake is a hike that Chris and I have set out on twice now and not finished twice now. The first time, we got rained on and raced back down the hill as the trail became a small trickling river.

Saturday we started up again, not really planning on getting to the lake which was 6.5 miles one way. I am breaking in a new pair of hiking boots and could tell that both of my heels were developing blisters. Around 4.5 miles in we decided to turn around. Still, that's 9 miles round trip so not too shabby for hiking.

The trail was actually a lot busier than we have seen in the past. We hiked back down for a couple of miles, found a big flat boulder to sit on, and enjoyed a picnic lunch. Some people chatted for a bit as they passed by.

I put bandaids on the blisters, but I should have done before starting the hike. Oh well. I might have to return these boots for a pair that is a little easier on my feet.

The leaves in the mountains are just beginning to change. Give them a couple more weeks and they will be brilliant yellow.



The weather could not have been more perfect. It was a little chilly when we started out, but that's actually pretty ideal over hiking in the heat of the afternoon.