Unanswered Prayers
Garth Brooks
Listen to the music here: Unanswered Prayers
Just the other night at a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them, the past came back to me
And I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be
She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again
Sometimes I thank God
For unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin'
To the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
'Cause some of God's greatest gifts
Are unanswered prayers
She wasn't quite the angel
That I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
In her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasn't much we could recall
I guess the Lord knows what he's doin' after all
And as she walked away
Well I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the Good Lord
For the gifts in my life
Sometimes I thank God
For unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin'
To the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
'Cause some of God's greatest gifts
Are unanswered
Some of God's greatest gifts
Are all too often unanswered
Some of God's greatest gifts
Are unanswered prayers
I recently read this Facebook post from a man I dated many years ago.
Hello Friends!
An overdue update, since I very rarely post on any social media. Life’s been super intense!
• I went through a devastating divorce
• I left the LDS Church
• I saw two business ventures flop
I’m healing, growing, and starting over. ๐๐ณ ๐๐ผ๐ ๐ธ๐ป๐ผ๐ ๐ผ๐ณ ๐ฎ๐ป๐ ๐ท๐ผ๐ฏ ๐ผ๐ฝ๐ฝ๐ผ๐ฟ๐๐๐ป๐ถ๐๐ถ๐ฒ๐, ๐’๐บ ๐ฎ๐ฐ๐๐ถ๐๐ฒ๐น๐ ๐น๐ผ๐ผ๐ธ๐ถ๐ป๐ด—๐๐ ๐ฎ๐ป๐ฑ ๐ฎ ๐ ๐ฎ๐๐๐ฒ๐ฟ’๐ ๐ถ๐ป ๐๐ง.
๐๐ข๐ฅ๐๐ก๐ ๐ฉ๐๐ฅ๐ฆ๐๐ข๐ก:
Sometimes life crowns you king. Sometimes it body slams you into a brick wall, breaks every bone in your pathetic body, robs you of all your belongings, and then laughs as it leaves you a bloody pulp. I’m sure I’m not the first, and I won’t be the last. My heart goes out to each of you who are similarly going through hard things.
Here are a few highlights from over the last few years:
• I was divorced two years ago. My life catastrophically ended in July 2023. I can’t even tell you the devastation this had on my life and soul. I’m currently in the market for a new life (and wife?). if anyone has any good leads. I’m finally reaching a new (relatively) peaceful place in my recovery. Thank you for asking.
• A year and a half ago, I left the LDS Church after discovering that many things I once dismissed as “anti-Mormon rhetoric” were, in fact, true. This may come as a great shock to many of you who likely thought of me as being as “true blue” as Mormons come. I promise you, my own shock was far greater. I was crushed and decimated.
• I tried to start two different businesses over the last few years. Marketing, it turns out, is NOT my strength. LOL. It doesn’t matter how good your product is if no one knows it exists. Now that I’ve used up my savings in a blaze of optimistic entrepreneurship, ๐’๐บ ๐ฐ๐๐ฟ๐ฟ๐ฒ๐ป๐๐น๐ ๐ถ๐ป ๐๐ต๐ฒ ๐บ๐ฎ๐ฟ๐ธ๐ฒ๐ ๐ณ๐ผ๐ฟ ๐ฎ ๐ป๐ฒ๐ ๐ท๐ผ๐ฏ ๐ถ๐ณ ๐ฎ๐ป๐๐ผ๐ป๐ฒ ๐ต๐ฎ๐ ๐ฎ๐ป๐ ๐ด๐ผ๐ผ๐ฑ ๐น๐ฒ๐ฎ๐ฑ๐.
For many months, I have felt broken. Some of you have been aware of my struggles and have been gracious enough to reach out and offer your support. You will never know how grateful I am. You truly discover who your friends are when your life falls apart. Of course, most of you didn’t even know—because I’m an introvert who can’t share emotional trauma.
In many ways, I’m literally starting my life over from scratch. As if I were playing a video game and I failed at Level 50.
God is good, and I still have faith for better things to come. Thanks to each one of you for your continued friendship and support. A brief reminder to always be kind—as you seldom know the struggles that each person may face.
Love to you all.
I was in love with him. He seemed just right for me. I wanted to be married, to have a companion, to not be single anymore, and for God to give me a “Yes, this is the one.” God gently said no again and again until I finally listened. And my heart was broken. I did move on and suddenly one day Christopher walked into my life. And I am SO grateful for an unanswered prayer.
It is not often that I receive an answer to my pleadings of, "But, why not God?" but as I read my friend's post 30 years after dating him, I am so grateful for the circumstances of my life now.
Don’t hold on so tightly when you somehow think things have gone awry in your life or that God isn’t listening. He is. He does. He is aware of every detail of EVERY detail in your life.