Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Night

It was a new experience for my girls to be able to wear a costume to school this year. It hadn't been allowed at the charter school, except for Amy in kindergarten when she could dress up as a Pilgrim or an Indian.

Halloween Day dawned bright and wonderful. The temperature rose to the 70s, a delightful change over previous years of blizzards, snow, rain, wind and cold temperatures. Perhaps that is why their candy stash was so huge this year--it was warm enough to actually make it through the neighborhood. (And yes, they like to sort.)





But back to dressing up for school. Amy was once again a witch this year and Misha a cowgirl. You gotta love not having to create new costumes. Both girls wore their costumes to school and Chris, Kristen and I headed over for the Halloween Parade at 3 pm. My first glimpse of the parade was of Mr. Liddle dressed up as the Tin Man and his staff as other characters from the Wizard of Oz. How cool is that?



Kristen was excited to spy her sisters but often hid behind me because of the "scary" costumes walking by.





I think my favorite costumes of the day were two boys dressed up as whoopee cushions. I wish I had thought to snap a picture of them!

Kristen was excited to finally get dressed and have whiskers. I think she must have remembered whiskers from last year because that was the first thing she asked about when I showed her the kitty costume.



Halloween Night was crazy running from one activity to another and trying to fit dinner in there somewhere. Halloween is right up there with Easter and Christmas for my kids. Even Kristen got into the spirit of dressing up and could "frick or freat" with the best of them. We started with the Trunk of Treat at the church at 5 pm. From there, my girls and the neighbor girls canvassed the neighborhood. I stayed home to dole out treats. I think we might have hit 15 kids for the evening. My favorite of the evening said as I opened the door, "You look beautiful tonight!" I didn't even know her but thought, "You can ask for candy at my house any time."

Amy and Misha went with Lexi and Morgan to their church party in Longmont. They came home with more stuff and were excited that Lexi was spending the night. Misha never stayed awake past 10 pm and Amy and Lexi trudged through until about midnight. They all had good intentions. In fact, when Amy walked downstairs Saturday morning she bragged to Misha, "We stayed awake until 2 pm." I felt the need to correct her however as I turned off the light in her bedroom just after midnight.