Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hair Tales

I'm finding as my daughters age that I don't deal well with pre-teen tears.  Just don't.  I need to try a little harder to be more sympathetic.  Their dad does a better job with it than I do.

I took all three girls to get their hair cut on Tuesday afternoon.  It was a new location for them.  Even before we left the house, my seven-year old--MY SEVEN-YEAR OLD--started to fret.  "I don't know if I can trust them."  Really?  You're seven.  It's a hair cut.  Hair is an important adornment whatever your age I now realize.

I will admit I felt some trepidation--mostly with Misha's hair.  When I requested blending of some pieces around her face, I about threw up when the stylist starting cutting inches off the front of Misha's hair.  Then, she took these freaky scissors that don't really cut as much hair as they look like they are going to and started snipping more hair.  I think my jaw dropped with the first cut and then I realized they were just thinning the hair and not cutting huge random chunks.  Perhaps Kristen was on to something.

Amy was next.  She only wanted a trim--a half an inch--but the same stylist recommended a little more because Amy's hair was dry.  I had Kristen getting started by another stylist so I was back and forth between the two, and perhaps not paying as much attention to Amy.  You cut an inch off her curls and it was like cutting three inches off straight hair. 

I'm pretty sure I could cut Kristen's hair in the future if I do it the way this stylist did.  Kristen's hair was so long, even with Kristen sitting on a booster seat, that the stylist had Kristen stand.  Then blunt cut the ends.  I can do that.

Oh so many tears once we arrived home with Amy.  She hated her hair and its poofiness.  I tried my best to console her by helping her fix it and put product in it.  She wasn't placated.  Her dad went up to talk to her.  It wasn't until the next morning that I learned that it wasn't so much the style but the fact that it was shorter and bouncier and so not what a girl who wants straight hair dreams of. 

Drama.

And my own personal drama with Misha's hair was unwarranted.  She looks great with it framing her face.