Sunday, June 10, 2012

Amy's leg

So a couple of days ago, Chris and I enjoyed a beautiful Colorado evening by taking a walk around the neighborhood.  Misha was supposed to be mowing the lawn and Amy and Kristen were in the back yard playing.  As we walked along, I happened to notice Misha riding her bike up the driveway into the garage, but never really thought any thing of it.  We kept on walking and then turned around and walked back the way we had come.  As we walked up the driveway, Kristen came running from the back yard and breathlessly announced, "Amy hurt her leg on the trampoline.  She's crying and she can't move."  Chris and I hurried to the trampoline to find Amy laying on it crying and unable to move.  I climbed through the safety net to her side.  She was shivering in shock but was able to tell us that she had been jumping when her knee suddenly hyper-extended and then she came down hard on it.  I helped Amy slide to the edge of the trampoline though she was in a lot of pain and didn't want to move.  When your daughter is all of a sudden taller than you, there's no more scooping her up to carry her to safety.

Chris was able to help get her off the trampoline and then carried Amy in to the house to settle on to the couch.  She was unable to walk on her leg and our best efforts to relieve pain did not help her very much.  The next morning, Friday the 7th, I decided that it would be best to get her knee checked out but was unable to get an appointment until after 4 in the afternoon--and not with a doctor I was hoping to see.  It was a crazy afternoon of picking kids up and dropping off here and there, but we finally sat in the doctor's office.


I watched as Dr. Fischer (not really a fan) pushed and prodded and stretched Amy's knee.  She figured it was most likely a sprain but we had x-rays taken just to be sure.  And we got to leave with crutches.  We now have our very own pair.


I listened to Amy joking a week later how Chris and I leisurely walked around the neighborhood as she lay on the trampoline in pain and Misha raced around trying to find us on her bike.  A week later and she is off the crutches and announced today that it wasn't hurting anymore.