Waterton Day. Waterton Park is an amazing Provincial Park that is part of the Rocky Mountain Range that extends from Colorado. Waterton Park, is also part of the Waterton Glacier International Peace Park extending across the border into Montana. I imagine for my parents, traveling with the Klines is an adventure in and of itself. We had booked a Bed and Breakfast in Mountain View back in February about ten minutes outside the Park. Inside the Park didn't given us the room or options we wanted, and having breakfast provided for us on Friday morning would be a nice bonus. Sure, we could have driven back to Stirling, but staying over would be fun, and Chris and I planned to leave the country via the Carway Border which wasn't too far from Mountain View.
We packed up all of our stuff Thursday morning and headed out. My parents brought their truck and we filled the back of it with our luggage so that we didn't have to take it all in to the Park with us. We met up at the Cardston, Alberta temple. While waiting for everyone to arrive, I was standing in front of the temple and two people came out and asked if they could take pictures for me. The second person was a security guy and fairly skilled with a camera. We got some nice pictures--and I was in them!
Before leaving Cardston, we stopped at Subway and picked up sandwiches for lunch and were on our way. We passed by the Bed and Breakfast on our route and decided to see if they would mind if we left my dad's truck for the day. Mary, the hostess, was happy to let us leave the truck, and to check us in. She gave us keys so that we could return later and she wouldn't have to be there. She lived down the road and we had the place to ourselves for the evening. Nice not to have to rush back to check in. Chris declared the rest of the day a "No Electronics Day." Crazy girls would rather stay glued to their iPods than enjoy the scenery. Kristen commented after Chris declared the no electronics rule, "Unless you're a parent....Amy, you're not a parent."
As we drove toward the mountains, Chris and I were amazed by the beauty of Chief Mountain and the green pastures below. Chris pulled over to let me take some pictures.
Just as we were entering Waterton Park, someone in the vehicle wished that maybe we could see some bears today. What do you know, not even two minutes later, we spotted a mother bear and her cub along the side of the road. The cub was so close, maybe three feet from where I was sitting in the front seat. It was a great way to start out our wildlife spotting. Chris offered $5 to the first person who spotted a big horn sheep and Kristen was happy to claim that prize later in the day. We saw a total of four bears, numerous big horn sheep, deer, mountain goats, and a coyote. Though the elusive salamander seemed to evade us. Somehow though, it scored its very own sign.
Chris was turning away from Cameron Falls when I told him we needed to go there first. It's tradition. Growing up, we didn't always get out, but it seemed we always drove by the falls first. We slowed to get a good look and then continued down toward the shore of the Upper Waterton Lake and the camp kitchens there. So many memories of eating lunch and dinner here. We started out at one camp kitchen that was enclosed on three sides and decided to move to one that was totally enclosed. My dad built a fire even though we weren't going to be there long. The next family to use the kitchen would enjoy the benefit of my dad's fire-building skills.
If you have ever been to Waterton Park before (especially not in June, July or August--and sometimes even then), you will not be surprised when I say that is was windy. No, REALLY WINDY. It was much nicer to have the enclosed kitchen simply for refuge from the wind. We ate our Subway lunch, snacked on cookies, apples, and carrots and finally left our warm fire. Kristen asked of no one in particular in the car, "How do you say Canada in French?" My dad quipped, "Quebec." Perhaps you have to be Canadian or know a passionate one to get the joke.
We stopped at Cameron Falls. Amy and Misha weren't going to get out, but were finally convinced. I got a few pictures and we saw our first deer sighting.
We drove around the town site for a bit and then headed up to Red Rock Canyon. There's one piece of road that if you get going at just the right speed, it drops dramatically and you're stomach feels as though it is in your throat. My mom hates it. As a child, I remember begging my dad to go fast. Chris obliged as well. My mom then shared how as a little girl, to avoid getting sick, her parents would let her get out of their car and walk while they drove ahead.
The drive to Red Rock Canyon seemed to tire Amy and Misha out as well as Grandpa. When we pulled in to the parking lot, Amy and Misha were already asleep in the back seat, my dad stretched out on the middle seat, and my mom moved to the front seat to knit and enjoy quiet time. I think they all slept for about an hour.
Kristen, who likes to boast that she's our best hiker, came with Chris and I to hike the path around the canyon and then on to Blackiston Falls.
On our way back from the falls, Chris and I spied my parents hiding behind a bunch of trees. Kristen hadn't seen them yet until my dad jumped out and growled like a bear at her. "Oh Grandpa." Love the pictures of my parents.
We drove back down to the Waterton town site where Chris promised the girls a snack. Before arriving, I spied another bear chasing some smaller animal. This bear was quite a distance away this time. The girls scored ice cream once we arrive back in the Park and sat on benches to eat their tasty treat. We scouted out a few of the restaurants and picked a reasonably priced place to return to later. After the girls finished their last licks, we headed up to Cameron Lake. We came across a large group of big horn sheep. A car had stopped in the road and motioned us to slow or stop as
we came upon them. Again, they were right next to our car and never
seemed to be too bothered by our presence. But don't you get the feeling of "I'm watching you?"
We had been told that there was still about 4 feet of snow at the lake. There was, though the parking lot was cleared.
On our return trip back to Waterton, we saw our fourth bear. It munched on dandelions as I snapped pictures and everyone in the car watched. I could have stepped out of the car and hugged it if I wished.
A little further down the hill, we stopped so I could take a picture of this iconic landmark. You might recognize it as The Prince of Wales Hotel. It is rather old now, but hotel rooms will still run you a pretty penny.
We ate dinner at Zum's and then drove back to the Bed and Breakfast. It was pretty quiet but nice to have the facility to ourselves. We sat and watched all of the pictures I had taken thus far on our trip and then gradually made our way to bed. We stayed in a large room over the garage with three queens and one twin. Nice that we each had a bed. Sad that Chris and I had to share a room with our girls.