Immediate Goodness
Yesterday afternoon, I received a text from Amy that someone had stolen her backpack. Crap. I tried to text her back, but my text wouldn't send, so I called the school instead and asked to speak to her. There are times as a mother when I wish that I could just reach to wherever my children are and enfold them in my arms. As Amy got on the line, I asked what happened, and she just started crying. Seriously, my heart was breaking for her. I began to ask questions such as, "Where was your backpack? Have you looked around to see if it was left somewhere? Was there anything important in it? Did you tell someone?" She was pretty devastated and just wanted to come home. I encouraged her to stick out the rest of the day and find a paper and pencil to take notes. I explained that we could replace the notebooks. She wasn't carrying around anything of much importance in her pack. I stayed on the line with Amy until she regained some composure and felt as though she could go back to class. I told her that the only thing we could do was pray. I hung up...
Less than a minute later, the phone rang and the caller ID indicated a call from the school. I thought maybe someone from the staff was calling me. Amy was on the line again, "Mom, they found my backpack." Really? I was so thrilled. She was still feeling a bit invaded, but I sent her on her way with my love and encouragement.
When Amy arrived home, she explained that her pack was found in one of the boys' bathroom. Someone had obviously gone through her bag and had taken all of her.....gum. So grateful that was all that it was.
This morning as we were reading scriptures before school, we came upon a verse that I had never really considered before:
Mosiah 25:10 And again, when they thought upon the immediate goodness of God, and his power in delivering Alma and his brethren out of the hands of the Lamanites and of bondage, they did raise their voices and give thanks to God.
The word immediate impressed me as my mind remembered the backpack and the quick second phone call. I, too, gave thanks. The immediate goodness of God, miracles, tender mercies...call it what you will, He hears and answers prayers.