Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Forgotten Phone

Kristen attended a high school basketball game to help with a fundraiser through student council. She texted me when she was about done and said I could make my way over to the school. As I drove out of the driveway, I realized I didn't have my phone with me. I convinced myself that surely she would be watching for me. It would have taken me two minutes to return to the house and pick up my phone, but I chose to "take my chances."

As I arrived at the school, I found a parking spot in the pick up lane in front of the gym and proceeded to wait—wishing, of course, that I had my phone to text Kristen that I was waiting. I watched as students and families began pouring out of the school. I watched the windows hoping Kristen would be standing there watching for me. I waited. I was wearing one Birkenstock on my right foot, the surgical boot on my left foot, and it was snowing.

Still, no sign of Kristen peering out the window and I decided after ten minutes, that I would have to get out of my warm and dry car in my sandal and boot to go find her. I was not pleased with myself. Kristen had been busy helping put stuff away from the fundraiser. She might have eventually come to the windows to look for me, but as I walked in to the school and searched for her, I wished I would have made a different choice in the first place.