Saturday, July 3, 2021

Kristen Alone in the Dark

Sometimes teenagers don’t make the smartest choices. 

That was the case when Kristen and her group of friends wanted to get a better look at the stars and decided to go to a gravel pit about seven miles from our house. Kristen did not want to go, but peer pressure took her along. 

The kids had to cross a barbed wire fence and walked in the field until reaching the gravel pit. The group of two guys and four girls were planning to climb a crane to get a better view.

Kristen had her Birkenstock sandals on and couldn’t climb that well in them. Plus, she really didn’t want to do it in the first place. The group told her to wait for them, and one of the girls suggested she walk back to the truck. She sat in the dark of the field for about 40 minutes texting with friends, one of whom said he would come and get her. She was getting more and more nervous about being alone.

At that point, I decided to just check Kristen’s location on my phone because Chris was already sleeping and I was heading to bed. Her location showed that she was somewhere off of HWY 66, but nowhere that I was familiar with.

I heard Chris’ phone buzzing and went down to check it. Kristen had just called. I was about to call her back when I could hear Amy talking.

Kristen was still alone and scared. Amy and I got in the car to go find her. I should have put shoes on as I was in my pajamas and barefoot.

We had Kristen stay on the line with us as we drove and finally reached the vehicles of the kids she had come with. Kristen had just made it out of the field and was so relieved to see us.  Her keys were in Jude’s truck so we needed to get those before leaving.

Amy and I were both pretty ticked with these kids and finally got them on the phone to ream them out for leaving Kristen alone and for trespassing. (We got on Kristen’s case for trespassing as well).

Jude got the brunt of Amy’s harsh words and told him to get back to the car. He was acting pretty snotty and belligerent with her.

As they finally arrived, Amy got out of the car to confront the boys who were the oldest in the group and should have known better.

I stayed with Kristen (I had no shoes on). The girls in her group came to console her but all of the kids were dufuses for leaving her.