Monday, December 11, 2023

Amy's 24

Can you believe 24 years have zoomed by so quickly? 

I remember listening to Celine Dion's "O Holy Night" over and over again through contractions and doing multiplication in my head to get through them. I remember finally the peace of the epidural, followed by the middle of the night emergency to bring this girl into the world, the blessing offered by Chris and a hospital worker, and being wheeled down the hall to surgery. 

I remember the feeling of a c-section and having Amy tugged from my stomach and the doctors suddenly saying, "Ahhh that's why." and mentioning a prolapsed cord. I remember Chris holding Amy up to my face and me saying, "Go with her. I'll be fine."

From the time my doctor came into the hospital room saying that our baby's heart rate was decelerating with each contraction to having her pulled from my stomach, probably 15 minutes elapsed. The surgeon had already been called and both doctors were quick and efficient and saved both of our lives that night.

She was our miracle and our holy night moment.

She still is. 

Amy, I hope you know that heaven was watching over you that night and every night since.