Chris and I were on our way into Longmont Saturday morning to help clean the church. The roads were clear (and much like the other night coming home from the symphony), and then all of a sudden they were black ice.
We didn't see the actual accident happen, but we were there just as cars were pulling over on the side of the road to help. Chris pulled over to help as well and added, "Call 9-1-1!" I just stayed in the car trying to answer the questions of the 9-1-1 operator as best I could as a bystander. The side of the road was a steep enough drop off that I couldn't even see the car that had slid off the road.
Chris came back looking for our glass break device. No luck. It must have been removed at some point but he has been smart enough to keep a pair of latex gloves in the inside pocket of his puffy jacket. He put those on.
Next, I called Jake from our ward who was coordinating the church cleaning and told him what was going on. He said not to worry about continuing on to the church; they had it covered.
Chris and the other good Samaritans must have been able to get to the two ladies in the car because the next time I saw Chris, he wasn't wearing his jacket. He had used it to cover up the driver.
A police car arrived on scene first (but didn't do much to stop the traffic), then an ambulance and two fire trucks. Chris is the one you can see across the road in his hoodie showing the emergency vehicles where to pull over.
Pics from Chris:
Chris stayed on-scene until help arrived and he was no longer needed. He was able to retrieve his jacket and returned to the car. Crazy how road conditions changed so quickly. The black ice only lasted for a short section after the train tracks and then conditions were clear again.